A Southern Rhône styled red. Cherry, raspberry, perfumed fruit notes with subtle pepper and spice on the nose. The elegant palate reveals dark chocolate and supple, cedary notes, underpinned by vanilla oak flavours.
Hartenberg Estate – The Megan
- Type: Red
- Occasion: Dinner, Something Special, Present, Special Occasion
- Vintage: 2016
- Colour: Deep ruby red
- Character: bold, full bodied, black fruit, cherries, raspberries, chocolate, spicy, elegant, rich, aging potential
- Varietal: 85% Shiraz, 12% Grenache, 3% Mourvèdre
- Volume : 0.75
- Alcohol: 14%
- Serving Temperature: 16-18 °C
- Winery: Hartenberg
- Country: South Africa (Stellenbosch)
The Megan is a tribute to Megan Mackenzie, wife of Ken “Stork” Mackenzie whose family still owns Hartenberg Wine Estate. Megan met Ken whilst still at school and once time passed, they got married and so started a twenty-four year love story. Initially assisting in the family business, but also a celebrated harpist, Megan sowed the early seeds for the decision to later buy Hartenberg Wine Estate, whilst on their honeymoon vacation to the Cape in 1952. Megan sadly passed away in the prime of her life and Ken never remarried.
Palate is creamy, juicy, bursting with flavour and finishes with a very moreish, lingering aftertaste.Fine dry tannins will ensure beneficial further ageing.
94 points Tim Atkin SA Wine Report